Friday, February 12, 2016

I know, write?


I was listening to a podcast exploring the differences between writing notes by hand and writing them on a computer.  Not surprisingly, by hand performed better cognitively.  I smugly sat here thinking I write all my work notes by hand before transcribing them digitally.  For the curious, the short story is that we process the data more thoroughly if we hand-write because we have to carefully choose what to say as handwriting takes significantly longer.

But then I started thinking about how I write creatively.   And somehow it's always digitally.  Even when I (rarely) hand-write cards or letters, if I'm struggling with what to say, I may write it digitally first.  Unfortunately for my inquisitive mind, that seemed to be beyond the scope of their analysis.  But maybe it's along the same line of thought, that we can write faster digitally, and I want to get my ideas down before my monkey mind jumps to the next shiny thought.  I will have to ponder that on my own whilst lying awake in the middle of the night.


No comments: