- Back at the office today. Finished up with yesterday's client, I hope. Called my brother & sister-in-law in Seattle to make sure they were okay after the earthquake. They are.
Wednesday, February 28, 2001
Tuesday, February 27, 2001
- Went to the office today to work on month end billing with the local branch manager. I also fixed the client's problems from last week and yesterday, with much assistance from Seattle & locally. Started to watch the Presidential address but turned it off pretty quickly. It reminded me too much of my high school pep rallies, which I also walked out of. It seemed kind of pointless to me. Either do a good job or don't, but don't proselytize about everything.
Monday, February 26, 2001
Sunday, February 25, 2001
- We got very inspired from yesterday and spent over 5 hours re-potting some of our orchids. Galahad went to the nursery and bought new hangers, rhizome clips, sphagnum moss, and fungicide. What an exhausting day. Hopefully, we'll see soon that it was productive. We have a few orchids that appear to be diseased. After a few treatments with the fungicide, it should heal them. We had quite a time figuring out the ratio of powder to water. They gave us the tablespoon/gallon ratio, but we had a 24-ounce spray bottle. So, after straining our brains with elementary school math, we figured it out. Somehow, we both used different methods but arrived at the same answer. Take that all you teachers who said there was only one way to solve each problem.
Saturday, February 24, 2001
- Went to the Palm Beach Flower Show. We had a lovely time. Galahad wasn't so sure about going; I think he went mostly to humor me. But, then he realized there was much more to it than just flowers. We also listened to a taxonomist lecture about the proper re-potting of orchids, which has made us both a little crazy & perplexed over the past year and a half. There was a symphony there playing. And, it was just a perfect south Florida day, about 75°F, with a full breeze blowing, right on the Intracoastal Waterway. On the way home, we took the top down and drove the whole way along the ocean. It figures that we're in the midst of a drought and got caught in a rain shower with the top down. Even that felt good. I did have one mar on the perfection of the day. I think all the flowers' pollen gave me a migraine. At the car, I took some Excedrin, which I dropped. It went rolling a few parking spots away. There I was chasing it through the parking garage since it was the only one I had. I closed my eyes, brushed it off, and popped it in my mouth. It worked, and a short time later, I was feeling good again.
Friday, February 23, 2001
Thursday, February 22, 2001
- Dealt with a very difficult client today with no resolution except that we'll try again tomorrow with one of my local people on hand there to assist me. Went to Galahad's parents for another birthday celebration dinner for his mom.
Wednesday, February 21, 2001
Tuesday, February 20, 2001
- Spoke to HP customer service today about the new PC we just bought last month, which sucks. It's already been in the shop once & came back with extra problems. Anyway, after writing a letter & making several telephone calls, I finally found someone who would genuinely help me. He is switching out our PC for a new one that is slightly better. Hopefully this one will work properly. It is such a hassle to transfer files from one to another and install all of my software. That's nice of them to recognize this & make it worth my while.
Monday, February 19, 2001
- Worked with Galahad all day doing yard work. Somehow we both ended up with puncture wounds all over our hands from thorny foliage. Later, we took his parents out to Joe's Stone Crab for his mom's birthday. Mmmmm! The stone crabs were simply scrumptious. And, we finished it off with a slice of key lime pie.
Sunday, February 18, 2001
- Attempted to buy a composter from Lowe's after not finding one at The Home Depot. Apparently neither place carries one. How ridiculous! They have a huge garden section with so many things one doesn't need to choose from and not one composter.
Watched parts of the Daytona 500. What a bad crash they had, and no one was seriously hurt. And then, the shocking news that Dale Earnhardt, Sr. was killed right at the last turn of the final lap. What a way to go. His name & memory will definitely be immortalized. People revered him before; now, he'll take on Elvis-stature.
Saturday, February 17, 2001
Friday, February 16, 2001
- Had lunch with my sister-in-law & my nephew. I think he liked his present but hasn't quite grasped the concept of why he received it. Instead of being happy with what he had, he commented that that was the "ONLY" Valentine's gift he received. Meanwhile, I don't think he's ever gotten lots before, except maybe something silly from his sister. I could be wrong though. I did it for fun, but maybe it wasn't as much fun as I thought it would be. Oh well, who knows what little boys like? Maybe next year, I'll go back to a card.
Thursday, February 15, 2001
Wednesday, February 14, 2001
- Happy Valentine's Day! I know for all you single people out there, this is the worst idea ever come up with. But, I finally have someone yummy to celebrate it with & absolutely love it now, after years of dreading the day. It seems like as a kid, I liked it because of all the candy & cartoon valentines exchanged. Then, with the teens, came the pressure to conform & find someone. It wasn't until my first Valentine's Day with Galahad that I truly appreciated this holiday again. It's another day that I can use to emphasize how important & special he is to me.
Tuesday, February 13, 2001
Monday, February 12, 2001
Sunday, February 11, 2001
- Went on a botanical walk at Bonnet House, a local historical house. Learned quite a bit about the indigenous vs. exotic vegetation. May have to move a few trees at our house due to potential future root damage. Scary to actually see what can happen.
Saturday, February 10, 2001
- Recuperated from last night. Took Excedrin at about noon, which cleared my head somewhat. Galahad's parents came over, ostensibly so his dad could help him fix our gate. I love seeing them, but it was a little bit taxing to be sociable in my condition. Hopefully, I pulled it off okay.
Friday, February 9, 2001
- Went out to dinner tonight with Galahad & old friends of mine from my last job. Sushi, of course. Something didn't agree with me later though. I got such a blasting migraine. Even though I medicated right away, it hit me so hard, I woke up every few hours all night & took more medicine.
Thursday, February 8, 2001
- I'm really addicted to Eagle Watch 2001. It's a website that has a camera & microphone placed just near an eagle's nest and plays 24 x 7. I've been watching since the two eaglets were teeny tiny. Now, they're much bigger and still making all kinds of squeaky noises. Both parents come back frequently to the nest to feed them.
Wednesday, February 7, 2001
- Took the day off. Should have been nice and relaxing. Except, I witnessed such a horrifying experience that I would have rather worked instead of seeing it. I was hanging out in my living room, talking to my sister on the phone, when a bird flew BAM, right into my living room window. It fell down, either dead or stunned, most likely dead. Then immediately, before I could get outside to investigate, another bird of the same type swooped down and picked up the fallen bird. It all happened so fast that I couldn't identify the type. To make matters worse, the original bird left a birdie imprint on my window, up so high that I can't easily remove it without a tall ladder. So now I have a constant reminder of a probable avian fatality. Work would have been better.
Tuesday, February 6, 2001
Monday, February 5, 2001
Sunday, February 4, 2001
Saturday, February 3, 2001
Friday, February 2, 2001
- Worked another LONG day at the office, until 11PM. The manager there bought me lunch (sushi again, you guessed it) & dinner (Applebee's). I called my sister on the way home to keep me awake. My eyes were having a difficult time focusing.
Thursday, February 1, 2001
- Woke up and reached for my Imitrex immediately. Felt better at about 10AM. Time for my annual GYN appointment. How much fun is that? What made it even better this year was having my doctor keep up a conversation with me about my work, while his trainee did the exam. I guess it's business as usual for him. Fortunately, I did not get paged by work until after this was over.