Friday, October 30, 2015

hair today, gone tomorrow

While I was engaged in the time-consuming task of washing and taming my hair this morning, I started thinking about all of the different products and techniques I've used over the years to assuage the wild beast that is curly hair.  At this point in my routine, I was softly smoothing Moroccan oil through my hair, which is very zen and gives me time to ponder life.  It's a soothing activity, feeling good to my fingers lightly raking the silky substance through my hair (but not enough to displace the curls, such a fine balance) and feeling good to my head on the receiving end of the gentle motion.  It feels even better when someone else does it, but alas that was not an option today.

I've accumulated copious amounts of hair products, like my most recent purchase of Kinky-Curly Curling Custard Gel.  I get bored of my previous purchases before I use them up, so there are many half-empty bottles and tubes under my sink.  I've been forcing myself to use some up before buying new ones, but I keep hearing about the next best thing for my hair, which I HAVE to try.  And they're never as good as what people rave about, except for the Moroccan oil.  That has certainly lived up to the hype, and is even healthy for me, with no toxic chemicals.  Therefore I ended up buying a zillion bottles when it was on sale because it's stupid expensive.  Allegedly, one only needs a small amount.  Horse pucky.  I use a metric fuckton.  I've tried substituting coconut oil instead, which also feels and smells nice and is much more reasonably priced, but regrettably it doesn't work as well. 

Having long, curly hair is both a blessing and a curse.  (Emma Peel knows all about this.)  I love it, but I hate the never-ending consumption of hair products trying to civilize it.  I love it, but I hate the many vacuum cleaners I've worn out trying to keep my home tidy.  I love it, but I hate that when one single hair falls on the floor, my house looks trashed.  I love it, but I hate that when I cut it, I never really know what it will wash and dry into next time (talk about shrinkage).  I love it, but I hate how hard it is to give it some semblance of professionalism.  I love it, but I hate missing out on riding in convertibles at greater than 5 mph.  Who am I kidding?  I love it.  :)

No comments: