Friday, October 23, 2015

call or text Gramma

I regularly visit with my elderly neighbor.  Even my cat wanders over on her morning rounds to peek in her windows and visit.  Because she (my neighbor not my cat) doesn't drive anymore, she is reliant on people coming to her.  She has friends who come by and take her shopping or out to dinner, but mostly she stays home and watches TV.  As you might imagine, that can get dull.

I like to regale her with all kinds of gossip about my friends and family.  (Sorry, all, but it's for a good cause.)  She knows about most of you, and if you've been naughty or nice.  I share photos that people have texted to me.  Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on one's point of view), no one sends me dick pics, so I don't need to worry about her scrolling through.

Sometimes we talk about current events and her opinions on the state of the country or the world.  Someone who has lived through World War Two has quite a unique perspective. 

She tells me about her family, none of whom live locally.  Usually, while I'm there, I text one or more of her grand-kids and ask them to send photos.  Yes, she has a smartphone and mostly knows how to use it, although texting can be a little confusing to her. She gets so damn excited to see new photos of her family, even if they're just silly pictures of the dog.

I no longer have living grandparents, but if you do, please, please take two minutes out of your day to send a message or a selfie.  It can really brighten up the day of some lonely senior citizen.  If Gramma or Gramps doesn't know how to text, email them.  Even if they can't retrieve the photo right then, inevitably they will have someone come over who will be more than happy to help them retrieve and see your photos. 

If you don't have a living grandparent (or don't like yours), find and adopt one.  There are too many old people who sit home alone all day.  Being nice to someone works both ways, it makes them less lonely and makes you less lonely, too.

No comments: