Tuesday, December 1, 2015

glorious orchids





I wish I could upload the scent the lower one produces.  OMFG, so amazing.  They don't make orchids like this anymore.  Literally.  They've bred the scent out to make longer-lasting blooms.  These ones are about 30 years old and were my mother's.  They're very tough plants because I do NOT have a green-thumb.  I've killed many plants over the years.  In fact, I have a recent orchid plant that looks to be on its way out.  Okay, maybe two.  Quit judging me.

I'm a terribly irresponsible plant-owner.  Which is why I don't have a dog.  Even though I love them.  Kitten can fend for herself when I'm under the weather.  Dogs (and plants) need help.  I know plants don't need that much work, but it's survival of the fittest around here.  No molly-coddling allowed.  Who has the energy for that?

When I first inherited my mother's orchids, I was all gung-ho.  I bought new pots, fertilizer, orchid food, pesticides, potting material, etc.  That lasted one season.  I used to bring them all inside for hurricanes and freeze warnings.  That lasted three seasons.  Now, the toughest ones have survived and seem to thrive.  They're fkn air-plants for crying out loud.  They shouldn't need so much attention.  Pretty fucked up for someone like me who is high-maintenance rejecting any other living creature that is.  Whatevs, I know my limitations.

Below is one of the newer plants, whose blooms will last much, much longer, yet it has no scent.



No comments: