Monday, April 11, 2016

invisible boyfriend


Fortunately, my family hasn't been hounding me about my personal life.  If yours does, you could rent an invisible boyfriend.  Or girlfriend.  Show your family proof (in the form of texts and photos because what else is there?) that you are dating someone.  You get to think up your own origin story and design him from scratch.  It sounds like a bad '80s movie, doesn't it?  What could possibly go wrong?  :)

Speaking of origin stories, it seems that most people meet online these days, so no one has adorable 'how we met' stories.  I kind of miss that and have mostly stopped asking.  Especially because people can be self-conscious about meeting through Tinder or similar.

And we no longer know how to talk to people in person.  Everyone prefers text, not that I'm judging, because text is my preferred method of communication, too.  It feels like an alternate universe to know that couples mostly don't meet in bars, grocery stores, or gyms.  I get it, because I've been that person who didn't want to be bothered while I was out doing whatever.  (Especially getting my car fixed.  That fkr.)

The curious cat inside me is wondering how this will evolve through the next generation.  Will they follow the same path and take it further with new technologies?  Or will they rebel against that and decide retro is cool again?

No comments: