Friday, July 31, 2015

The eyes have it...

I'm writing this while waiting at my ophthalmologist's office to see if my retinal tear is still fine.  I'm a teensy bit worried.  But I'm starting to have my aggravation level surpass my anxiety.  It's been almost an hour, and I'm still in the first of several waiting rooms.  I thought scheduling two hours for this was plenty of time.  I haven't even had my eyes dilated yet.  And I'm getting crankier as my breakfast wears off. 

I was told by my optometrist that I'm at higher risk now and need to be checked semi-regularly.   I truly hope the aggravation is the worst part.  Deep breaths.  

Also, I hate having a TV on in the background.  My cranky factor is HIGH.  I finally got the drops, and my eyes feel stoned.  Very bizarre feeling.  Numbness drops and dilation drops, which allegedly last 4 hours.  I'm so fucked when I need to look at a bright computer screen for work soon.

There seem to be a hundred retirees ahead of me.  I think I'm the only one still gainfully employed here.  Makes me feel old before my time.  I'm too young to have retinal problems.  And definitely too young to be watching The Price is Right.  Sigh.  All of the commercials are for health problems.  Every.  Single.  One.

I've burned through 20% of my phone battery already.

It sounds like the retirees are about to revolt.  They're planning anarchy next to me because of the long wait.  And they don't even have to go back to work.  I can't wait until I'm a little old lady and can say what I really think with impunity.  I do hope my eyes don't keep aging before their time.  I'd like to see whom I'm speaking the plain truth to.  (Yeah I know I'm not supposed to end on a preposition, but the other way sounded too pretentious.)
 
I've been texting my friend who is in cancer treatment.  We're commiserating, although he definitely has it worse.  Puts mine in perspective. 

It's kind of amusing to hear old people's ringtones and watch how they interact with smartphones, but plenty still keep flip phones.  On their belts.  Random thoughts going through my mind, trying to keep cranky and anxiety at bay.

More later....

No comments: