Friday, December 19, 2003

Friday, December 19, 2003

I can't figure out this holiday tipping concept.  I sent a goody basket to my chiropractor's office.  But exactly how do I tip the garbage men?  Or better yet, why?  No offense to them, they do a marvelous job, but I don't have a personal relationship with them like I do with the staff at my chiropractor's office.  In fact, I have no clue what they look like since I'm never up that early.  I have a love-hate relationship with them at best.  I love the fact that they pick up my garbage (for a fee of course), but I hate that reverse beeping noise as they negotiate their truck into the corner near my house.  I usually bury my head under the pillow trying to block it out and get my last 5 minutes of pretend sleep.  So now I'm supposed to tip them?  Again, why?

I'm not buying most of the people in my family presents, yet the garbage men and mailman are getting something.  Doesn't that seem wrong?  I suppose I tell my siblings, "Sorry bro, I blew my budget on the garbage men....merry christmas though."  When did mandatory holiday tipping come into place?  I hear in NYC that it's not only mandatory, it's fairly militant.  Dire consequences could happen if you don't.

My company's customers don't give us presents.  In fact, it's quite the opposite.  We give our special (READ: large) customers presents as appreciation.  Shouldn't the city be giving me gifts for using their garbage vendors? 

No comments: