Monday, August 11, 2003

Monday, August 11, 2003

I got a bizarre phone call tonight.  It was from one of my credit card companies asking if I had just charged $5,000 to a charitable organization, Network for Good.  When I said, ummm wtf?, they then asked me if I had spent $30 at a gaming store today.  I said I hadn't used this particular credit card in months and in fact still had it in my possession.  Since I am suspicious by nature, I was trying to figure out if this call was a scam.  I was trying very hard not to divulge personal information, but the $5000 shock value penetrated my barriers temporarily.  Isn't that silly?  Every credit card I have ever had says a person isn't liable for fraudulent charges past the first $50.  Yet, I still freaked that I might have just donated $5000 to a questionable charity.   The man seemed to have a lot of my information correct, so I am assuming it was a legitimate call.

I am guessing a hacker got my number from the credit card company's database.  Otherwise, I have no idea how my number was obtained.  I am glad I use reputable (who call and verify) companies for my credit cards.  I remember Discover Card called me once for a large purchase that I actually did make.  I was impressed then as well.  I have since canceled that account since they pissed me off on another matter though.  ;)   Plus I'm in my simplify everything mode.  I'm down to 2 credit cards that I use and one apparently that hackers use.  =P  And, I'm one of those weird folk who pays the balance every month.

No comments: