Thursday, October 6, 2016

ready as I'll ever be


I slept fitfully last night, in my dry home, in my clean sheets, in my air-conditioned comfort, knowing it might be the last time I experience that.  I've done all of the physical planning I can do.  I've prepped the outside and inside of my home.  Now, I need to walk through and say goodbye to it.  It may be the last time I see it whole.

The outer edges of the storm should be hitting soon.  I took a long hot shower and washed my hair while I still have power.  My bugout bag is packed, sitting next to the cat carrier, in my one internal room with no windows.  This house is full of windows.  It's one of the reasons I fell in love with it.  It felt so light and airy.  Now I get a front row seat to one of the most dangerous storms to visit my lovely state.  Deep breaths.

Even though I'm always barefoot, I have shoes and socks sitting conveniently out.  I learned that lesson from my mom, who gashed open her foot when running for her life through the house during Hurricane Andrew.  Windows go fast.  My brother and I eventually went to look for my mom and dad at the hospital because they had been gone over eight hours.  Holy hell, I never want to see that sight again.  A state of the art hospital looked third world, running on minimal generators, with leaves and debris stuck to the ceilings and walls.  Everyone had dazed, shell-shocked looks on their faces.

My migraine has gone way down (after too many doses of meds), so I'm able to function today.  So far.  I went through two Amy's meals yesterday.  Yay for planning ahead.  I think I'll skip the coffee again today.  I'm roaring around on too much adrenaline as it is.

I'll try to keep updates going while I have power and access.  Please keep me in your thoughts.  :)

No comments: