Saturday, September 4, 2004

Saturday, September 4, 2004

It's finally here --- well the edges anyway.  It's down to a category 2 so only (ha!) 105 mph winds, and we still should be taking a miss on this by 50 or 60 miles if it stays on course.  Thank you Lucky Goat Milk!!

I guess I'd better explain about my lucky can of goat milk.  Six years ago, a Hurricane was headed right for us in our brand new (to us) house.  I had less flexible hours then at work, so I wasn't able to take off exactly when I wanted to get supplies.  I ended up at my local Publix Supermarket picking up stuff that had been picked through hours ago.  That store caters to mostly retirees, so the only section left semi-intact was the ethnic section.  I was kind of panicking since Hurricane Andrew's devastation was just a few years prior, and I remembered my parents living on canned foods for weeks.  I loaded up my cart with anything edible, whether I recognized its use or not.  I figured that Galahad is creatively talented in the culinary arts, plus I'll eat just about anything when I get hungry.

That night, he's going through the supplies I bought and starts asking why I bought them.  He's new to Florida's Hurricane Season so he's giving me the benefit of the doubt if it's local wisdom.  I started crying and said it's all they had left, and I didn't want to starve.  He reassures me that all will be well and starts his mind going on unusual recipes.

Since then, we've had quite a few close scares and some brushes with severe weather but have come out smiling.  I credit my lucky goat milk.  :p  At some point, he used it or tried to, so it was no longer in our cupboard.  Wednesday night, I went through a similar feeling of "omg there's no food left for me" since I went to a different store and most of the ethnic foods had been cleaned out there, also.  I bought some Goya Tamarind Juice and pigeon peas (both new to my repertoire this year).  You might wonder why Galahad leaves it to me to do the shopping, but he was getting over some cold or virus and working like crazy at work, so I offered.  Plus, I got to hang out and laugh with my brother at a Wal-Mart at 3 am.  =)  As we got to the register, there on the side where someone had decided they didn't want it, was a can of Goat Milk, nearly identical to the one from years back.  Of course I had to buy it.  And so far so good, the storm has seriously weakened and is forecast to hit a bit north of us.

/dance

Web Cam: South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Ocean View Cam in New Smyrna Beach Florida Live Video of the Beach on the Atlantic Ocean, Ocean and Waves
 

No comments: