Friday, September 3, 2004

Friday, September 3, 2004

I lied.  I'm posting again but this time from my laptop since my PCs are safely ensconced in my laundry room wrapped under sheets of plastic & duct tape.

I finally got about 6 hours of sleep last night so I'm feeling a bit better (but not that much).  The storm has slowed way down so impact is now being predicted for tomorrow instead of today, although we did start to feel some of the feeder bands this afternoon.

We finished up the outside work here (30+ orchids in my house along with assorted critters who were hunkering down in them) and then drove to Galahad's parents' house to help them with final preparations.   After lunch there, we stopped by my brother's house since he's on the way to say hello and see how he was doing.  He didn't sound so good on the phone --- too little sleep, too much caffeine, and too much stress.  His house was mostly boarded up by then.  I got to visit with his doggies (always a treat for me =)).  We hung out there for a bit until the transformer popped into fireworks in his backyard and he lost power.  I have no idea what caused that since it was sunny out, and there hadn't been any gusting winds for an hour or so.  Anyway, we decided that it was probably time to get off the roads and get home. 

First we tried to detour to the beach to see the surf coming in (it was still a gorgeous, albeit hot, day).  The police had every access road blocked off, so that shot that idea down.  I think it was smart of them to do that even though I would have loved to take a last walk on the beach before the storm hit.

The storm has weakened down to a Category 3 and looks to still hit a tad north of us, so we'll be on the "clean" side of impact.

WebCam | Views from The Miami Herald

No comments: