Monday, September 8, 2003

Monday, September 8, 2003

I was rudely woken up this morning by a migraine a few hours before my normal time.  Years of this has prompted me to sleep with dry-swallowable Imitrex (the tiny ones) by my bedside.  I took one, rolled over with a pillow on my head, and pretended to be asleep for 2 hours until it started kicking in.  Then I stumbled downstairs and took two Excedrin to take off the last little edge.  Somewhere in between, my beloved Galahad came over to kiss me goodbye and looked at me with that look on his face that I hate to see.  That look that says he's hurting to see me hurt.  I feel so responsible.  :\

And then, some excitement in my quiet little community.  I had seen a police car cruising in front of my house earlier.  That was unusual, but I didn't see where he stopped so I forgot about it.  Later in the afternoon, I look out my window and see a news van with the giant antenna on top.  Wtf?

So I trudge over to the end of the pond where neighbors and news crew are gathering.  I'm subtly making sure that there are no news cameras aimed on me, but I know they can get you from hundreds of feet away, so I'm a bit apprehensive.  I'm barefoot, wearing my shredded cutoffs and a faded half tee -- not the best attire to be televised in.  I did have the good sense to put my sunglasses on to cover my swollen eyes (more on that later).

I ask what the hullabaloo is and find out there is an alligator in our idyllic little pond.  Then, one woman gets all teary-eyed and says he ate Eloise.  I was guessing that's her dog.  I felt so bad for her.  But it turns out that's my fucking duck!!!  That bastard killed our beautiful white duck.  The mallard (her fella') was just sitting all by himself looking bereft.  I peered into the pond to get a better glimpse of the killer gator.  Wtf?  He's like 3 feet long, just a baby.  Poor guy.  He didn't even eat the duck.  The neighbors pulled her away.  Wtf?  And buried her.  Wtf?

I scurried back into my house thinking it must be a hella (/wave DB  --- he hates that word =p) slow news day to be covering this. 

No comments: