Saturday, June 21, 2003

Saturday, June 21, 2003

Today was my parents' wedding anniversary.  My mother has been dead for 3 years, and my father has been remarried for almost the same amount of time.  In fact his current anniversary is a few days away.  I wonder if he still remembers this day.

I was feeling restless today even after trying to meditate out by the pool with the lizards and birds.  A friend of mine called me to go have dinner since she was home alone.  She's going through her own life crises, and it's been a while since I've seen her.

Galahad gladly stayed at home engrossed in his book while I sallied forth for a girls' night out.  My friend is older than I am so it was fairly tame as those type of nights go.  We had dinner on the beach and then took a stroll around Boca's trendiest plaza, Mizner Park.  I forgot what it was like to hang out with a woman who likes to shop.  She had me going into every little boutique.  It's so hard for me to ever tell her no.  :)  I couldn't believe the vast amounts of high-priced useless shit that is sold.  Wtf do people do with it all?  What compels people to spend money (some of it maybe even hard-earned although in Boca maybe not) on trinkets?

I was pleased when we finally completed the circuit, dodging the foul-smelling, arrogant cigar smokers who think they are oh-so-cool, and arrived at Starbucks for a relaxing cup of tea and some soulful conversation.  When did young people stop going to nightclubs and start going to a coffee shop on a Saturday night?  Ahhh well it was nice to enjoy some eye candy while talking.  And, it was a boost to my esteem to catch some young, seksi slicksters checking me out.  ;) 

A woman she knew casually bumped into us there and said hello.  Within two minutes of meeting me, she was so inspired that her eyes welled up.  Here I am feeling sorry for myself so much lately, and I'm more comfortable in my own skin than others are in theirs.  That was a pleasant jolt.  She apologized for crying, and I of course laughed since I am the absolute last person one needs to worry about crying in front of.  She thought it was beautiful that I had my shit together.  Yeah, I felt like a phony for a second, but then I realized that I have come a long way even though it feels as if I have so much further to go.

No comments: