Friday, July 27, 2001

Friday, July 27, 2001

Feeling pretty good today. Last night was Tequila Night, but I didn't get to drink any since my head was iffy. We had a great time. Galahad's mother even came last night. I'm kind of bummed that a friend of mine told me he was coming and then never showed up. When we called him, he said he had a dinner party. I completely understand if other plans come up. I even try to understand if I get preempted for more preferred company. But, what I don't understand is why he couldn't just call me or email me and tell me he wouldn't be there. Should I ask him or, let it go?  I felt really stupid holding a table for him and him not showing. It ended up working out okay because another friend showed up unexpectedly (bonus!) with a new girl, so we needed that spot.

I hate when I develop high expectations and then I get let down. It's a neurosis of mine. Because I know that about myself, I try really hard to either have low expectations or none at all. But somehow, I slip one of those higher ones in once in a while --- like last night for my friend. Now I feel let down by him, and really, he's a great guy, so I'm sure he didn't do it maliciously.

Galahad said he doesn't want to do another Tequila night with everyone again. I'm kind of there with him on that. It got me too tense last night trying to coordinate people and seats even though I had so much fun seeing some friends who I hadn't seen in years. And, on a side note, I met a woman who is from Eritrea. I thought she was making that up, but I checked Rand McNally and it truly exists. Amazing to learn of a new country that I had never ever before heard of. No one at our large table had heard of it, and quite a few of us are well-traveled and knowledgeable about many areas of the world.

No comments: