Friday, October 15, 2004

Friday, October 15, 2004

We fly home today.  :(

But first we're off to the farmers' market.  I couldn't help myself and was staring at an Amish young man who was staring right back at me.  We both just stared at each other for 30 seconds or so.    I tried to imagine what his life must be like and how foreign it was to mine.  I think his mind was going through the same process. 

So much food there, so little time.  :p  I bought my very own homemade peanut butter sans sugar to take home with me.  Yum!  I also sampled some local birch beer that one of my friends tells me he's addicted to.  It is quite tasty.  Then I got sucked into some lady's sales spiel and felt bad so I bought some of her candles.  The mango scent smelled divine although I was flabbergasted when she said she'd never had mango before. Culture shock kept hitting me from every direction on this trip.

We left there to meet up with our friend's ex-wife that we became friendly with while they were married.  We had been at their wedding years ago.  I was sad they were apart and missed seeing her.   Fortunately, they are still very friendly so all of the awkwardness was on our part and none on theirs.  I joked that I felt like the kids of divorced parents, meeting up at a restaurant and getting driven off by the other party.

We spent a little bit of time with her catching up, then back to his place to pack and drive to the airport.  The weather started shifting and a migraine began to form in my head.  :(  Oh well, it was almost a perfect week.  Imitrex on the plane fixed me though.

As we landed and I saw the lights of our busy metropolis, I started to feel shallow like somehow their lives were more meaningful.  It was an odd feeling and not one I can recall having before even though I've traveled extensively.  I wanted to see stars in the sky not endless miles of strip malls.  However, I do love the convenience that those strip malls offer me.  I hated having to drive 20 miles to go choose between 5 restaurants.  I like having 20+ within a few blocks of me.

No comments: