Friday, July 11, 2003

Friday, July 11, 2003

I was asked why Galahad and I aren't married.  I figured I'd answer here in case anyone else was curious as to how my unusual mind works.  ;)   There are several silly reasons for and against it, but I guess the real reason is probably locked up in my mind a little bit.

FOR:
  • Insurance reasons (how romantic :p)
  • Legal reasons

AGAINST:
  • After so long, why bother with it now?
  • Income taxes would increase and complicate
  • I haven't known many (any?) successful long term marriages
  • Apparently, I have deep-seated commitment issues.  I'm guessing these might be from my 1st mother's death, but it's just a guess.  I obviously don't care enough to root through them yet.
  • Legal marriage forces (sort of) people to stay together whereas we choose to stay together as long as we are both happy with each other.  This feels like the most important reason at the moment.  Every day we have a choice to leave but we reaffirm our choice to stay.

MOOT:
  • No plans for kids, so that doesn't factor in
  • Big weddings stress me out so no need for a Cinderella wedding.  I already had the Cinderella courtship which was absolutely fucking fabulous.  :)  /swoon
And of course, none of these reasons matter if he really wanted it.  I think he feels similar to me (minus all my issues :p).  If either one of us really needed the emotional security of a legal marriage, the other one would do it in a second.  When I feel the need for reassurance now, I just ask him for it.

No comments: