Wednesday, April 9, 2003

Wednesday, April 9, 2003

I had a company event today to meet & appreciate the customers.  It was a FULL day (I got home at 8:30 PM) of schmoozing disguised as fun.  I did have some fun, but first I had to wear a putty-colored polyester golf shirt emblazoned with a  teeny tiny logo of ours on one sleeve, so it looked like I just wore it for fashion.  :(

During the course of the day, I got hungry as usual.  Since I wasn't at home, I didn't get my healthy after-lunch-before-dinner snack.  Since this was a customer appreciation event, I had all kinds of snackies for them.  Instead of being responsible and eating my Balance bar in my purse, I scarfed down 1 bag of potato chips, 2 bags of Nutter Butter Bites, and 1 fun-sized bag of peanut M&M's.  I did wash it all down with several bottles of water, so I didn't totally lose my mind.  And for the record, those Nutter Butters had 4 grams of protein in each serving.  =p

At about 5:30ish, we started gathering in for dinner.  Yeah, you guessed it, I wasn't exactly starving anymore.  I did eat my salad and Wendy-sized portions of some of the main courses, minus dessert.  So here comes my rant disguised as plausible questions.

Why is it okay for overweight people to comment on the quantity that I eat but not okay if I turn around and say something similar?  Why is it considered rude and/or hurtful to say "Wow, you sure eat a LOT!!!  Maybe if you ate less, you wouldn't have that big fat ass."?  But it's not considered hurtful or rude to say "No wonder you're just skin & bones, you barely eat."

[On a related but tangential note, dinner with my dad last night went well.  He did end with another "Are you sure you're eating?" comment though.  :(  I stooped and lowered myself to his level and rubbed his growing belly and said he was getting a bowl of jelly there (a la Santa Claus).  It helped a lot that my Galahad went with us.  He kept squeezing my hand under the table when he saw me getting frustrated with how self-absorbed my father is.  The Thai food was yummy, and my father told some amusing anecdotes.]

So, what the fuck is wrong with people?  To all of you overweight people out there who do that, it IS in fact hurtful to me when people make mean or inconsiderate skinny remarks to me.  I usually make quite an effort to eat well.  Yesterday I lost my mind on Nutter Butters' yummy goodness, but normally, I force myself to resist the temptation.  And, it isn't always easy for me to do that.  I usually exercise self-control and good judgment.  Stop being mean to me and try using that time-worn advice.... "If you having nothing nice to say, then don't say anything."  I am not TOO skinny, and if I am, it is still NOT your business.  If you're that fucking concerned, try paying my sushi bill for a month and see if I still don't eat enough.

No comments: