Friday, April 11, 2003

Friday, April 11, 2003

We watched a movie last night that disturbed me -- The Salton Sea.  I always think I can handle it, but then if it's well-done, I just walk away feeling yicky.  There were so many factors in it that disturbed me.  Is it just that I am more sensitive to these things?  Do other people get upset from watching human pain?  Yes, I know it's a movie, but that type of pain is out there all the time.  Do other people not make the leap from movie to real life?  How is that entertaining (which in my mind connotes good) to watch suffering?

I had a hard time watching Cowboy Bebop last night after this.  Galahad kept saying, "but it's just a cartoon."  For those of you who don't know it, it's a dark cartoon.  Why do people like horror and gore movies?  What is so compelling about the dark side of life?  Why am I wired so differently that I can't stand that?  It just depresses me.

No comments: