Wednesday, December 20, 2017

eye, eye, Captain!



I fucking had eye surgery again last week.  Number three for anyone keeping count.  Same eye.  This one helped repair some (but not all) of the damage done by the second surgery two years ago.  My vision is better than it was two weeks ago, but not as good as it was 2.5 years ago.

In order to have this surgery, I had to have a recent EKG.  The one from three months ago was apparently obsolete.  But the ophthalmologist office doesn't do EKGs.  Sigh.  They recommended going to my primary doctor.  Oh wait, I don't have one.  Try Urgent Care, Wendy.

Just about this time, my health insurance had a huge snafu with payments and showed me as not covered.  Story for another day, but it left me feeling very humbled -- crying to strangers and asking for extra assistance.

Also, my credit card was impersonated.  Fortunately, their fraud algorithms picked it up right away.  Unfortunately, my replacement card took two days to arrive.  Maybe only one and a half days, but it felt longer.  The representative on the phone assured me that my old card (still in my possession) would work until I received the new one.  Except when I'm trying to buy lunch at a sushi place.  Declined, ma'am.  My friend kindly paid.

I got home and called back to a different representative who said I could call back each time I'm declined and have them resubmit while I'm on the phone.   Yeah, that's convenient.

Anyway, back to Urgent Care.  First my insurance doesn't go through.  Then I had to explain about my credit card.  Very humbling.

I finally got them to take me seriously and accept me as a patient.  I go to the exam room for my EKG and am asked to remove both my shirt and my bra.  WHAT?!  I've had at least 10 EKGs in the past few years (migraine-related), and the most I've done is lift up my t-shirt.  But I'm all done arguing at this point.  I meekly agreed and put on the robe.  He was very professional after that.

Moral of the story:  Don't have health problems.


No comments: