Saturday, October 28, 2017

social science observation


I asked Einstein his opinion on which pair of eyeglasses he preferred on me for a professional setting.  He immediately picked the darker pair.  I prefer the lighter pair for aesthetics, although the darker pair is more comfortable.

One of my sisters is very corporate-minded, so I asked her.  She picked the lighter ones and said the darker ones were more intense looking.  I almost left it at that, two to one.  My curiosity got the better of me, so I asked my other sister who is less corporate-minded but still has fashion sense.  She also picked the lighter ones.  They very rarely agree on anything.  Ever.  I decided to ask another male friend, who immediately picked the darker ones because they are more intense (same word choice).

At this point, I figured why the hell not and asked one of my brothers who is not corporate in the slightest.  He also picked the darker pair.

Three votes by women for the lighter pair, and three votes by men for the darker (intense) pair.  Is this why I'm being paid less than my male counterparts?  Is this why I've been sexually harassed at work?  Because as women, we subconsciously choose to be less intense? 

I tried to control for scientist bias by texting the pics in different orders and not asking anything other than which ones for work.  I wore the same shirt and tried to strike the same pose in both photos (my stupid, smirky smile).

I haven't decided on which pair to wear, but I'm leaning toward trying something new and getting out of my comfort zone.



No comments: