Monday, October 2, 2017

hurricane cleanup: round two


I was told by my city that I had been given misinformation earlier.  I now needed to move the remains of my tree 50 yards to a main road.  (I don't know distances.  I completely made that up.  Anyway, it was far.)  And the tree cuttings were heavy.  And large.  And heavy.  And it was hot out.  Until the rain started pouring down in buckets.  Then I felt like I took a shower in my clothes, but it was cooler to work in, and I wanted to finish the job. 

My friend came over to remove the come-a-long and chain still holding my tree to another tree.  And to add wood struts to brace the tree.  He graciously offered to help me move the giant pile of debris.   It took us both a couple of hours.

By then we were starving and went out for seafood.  Yay!  I had conch fritters, and we surveyed the hurricane damage at the beach.  Most of the cleanup was done.  The giant piles of sand were completely gone.  The shattered, impact-resistant glass was still in windows though.  Parts of signage and building decor were missing.  And of course, there were the ever-present piles of foliage debris.

I tweaked my knee at some point.  It's not bad, but it reminds me that I probably didn't use proper form the whole time. 

I slept nine hours that night.

No comments: