Thursday, June 20, 2019

helicopter parent


A few of us went on a helicopter tour of the island.  It was my first time in a helicopter, and I wasn't sure what to expect.  Spoiler:  It was fantastic.  Up until I got queasy.   

My sister wanted doors off which made it windy and cold.   My hair was a clusterfuck, so all of my selfies sucked.  But the rest was incredible.  We had to get weighed, and they distributed us accordingly.  Which meant I had a middle seat because apparently I've lost weight.  Sadness.  



I took lots of pictures although I think most didn't come out great because of the angles and movement.   He flew us all around the island for an hour.  And over Pearl Harbor he went even lower and circled when Pops told him that his father had served on the Utah.   

USS Utah


They seem kinda lax on flight restrictions because Hawaii.  Or maybe he's a known quantity and can get away with extra since he flies several tours a day.   We even flew over the Honolulu airport runway.  

Towards the end, we hit some winds and rain, and my stomach decided to make itself known.  I stopped taking pictures and concentrated on my breathing.  Unfortunately, there were no airsick bags in sight, and I was sitting next to the pilot.   I made an executive decision and decided I would puke on the floor if necessary (it wouldn't be the first time sadly). 

Happy days, I was able to rein in my nausea and hold down the coffee I had ingested earlier.  But I wasn't up for more socializing or fun activities right away.   My sister quietly drove us home, and I went to lie down.   I ate a cricket bar on the way, which helped a little.  


No comments: