Monday, July 16, 2018

mango gummy yummies


Even though my main mango tree didn't fruit this year because of trauma sustained in Hurricane Irma, one of its pups finally did for the first time.  I didn't have an overabundance of mangoes, but I had several tasty ones that all came ripe at the same time.

A friend suggested making homemade mango gummies, which I'd never done before.  It sounded simple enough and intriguing.  SPOILER ALERT: Not so easy.

I lost my ever-loving mind in the store shopping for molds.  SO MANY FUN CHOICES OMG!!

Food molds


A friend was in the car with the AC running, keeping the groceries cold.  We had just come from the grocery store to get gelatin and tons of chickens for Kitten.  I didn't know fuckall about food molds, so I went in completely ignorant.  I started texting photos to make sure this was what I was supposed to buy.  And somewhere along the way, the giggles set in.  I ended up hysterically laughing (to the point of tears) all by myself choosing these.

I began winnowing down the choices.


Narrowing my choices


Until I ended up with these.

Final selection


We cut up several mangoes and puréed them.

Chunks

Liquefied


Dissolved the gelatin in boiling water and mixed it in with the mangoes.





And finally carefully poured the mixture into the molds, with the excess going into plastic cups.

Filling the molds

I very impatiently let them chill in the fridge for several hours.
Chilling and setting

They still didn't seem as firm as gummies should, so I let them sit overnight.  It turns out the mistake was in not quadrupling the gelatin amount.  After searching a bit more, there is some controversy on whether or not mangoes contain bromelain, an enzyme that denatures protein.  Next time, I will try only multiplying the gelatin amount.  If that doesn't work, I will try boiling the mangoes.


amorphous blob or prehistoric terror?



No comments: