Monday, August 13, 2018

battery not included


A little over two years ago my car battery died, and I was an emotional mess having to replace it.  I was still coping with being single and making automotive decisions.  Fortunately for me, my dad was nearby and helped me through the process.  Unfortunately for me, I didn't listen to my brother's advice to buy a battery tender then.  (FORESHADOWING)

Fast forward a couple years and me not driving much (which would have subsequently charged my new battery as often as it needed), and that one died, too.  I thought, no big deal, it's under warranty for three years.

Except if you don't drive enough.  Fucking cheatsy fuckers.

The man who came out to check it offered me an on-the-spot discount if I buy a new one now.  Generally, I don't fall for those, but it was worth it to have a working car, especially when I didn't have anyone nearby who could help me with this.  I was texting my brother who very graciously only I-told-you-so'd me once.

Cars intimidate me.  So does electricity.  But, I was expecting a friend who happens to be a genius at electricity to visit me, so I ordered the battery tender that my brother HIGHLY recommended.

My friend hooked it all up and explained to me exactly what to do to charge it and how to unplug it each time.  It felt very simple and not as intimidating. My brother recommended a special battery extension cord for it (who knew?), so I didn't have to open the hood each time.  Guess who hooked that up all by herself???  Whatever, I was proud of myself.  :)

It feels so fucking calming to know my battery will work, even if I haven't driven my car for 5 days. 

It's still a learning process.  My friend recommended plugging it into a power strip so I can turn it off when my car is gone (to allow the tender to rest).  Apparently, it's important to plug the charger into the battery AND turn the power strip on every time.  Sigh.  I'll get the hang of it eventually. 

Not only do I have peace of mind, I also think of my brother and my friend every time I hook it up.  And I feel loved.  :))


battery tender


No comments: