Saturday, June 27, 2015

Vanity Sizing

Love it or hate it?  Me, I hate it.  And yes, I know you think that's easy for me to say because I'm skinny.  Truthfully though, I'd rather say I'm a 4 than a 00.  Or a S than an XXS.  Because saying I'm 00 or XXS makes me feel insignificant.  Silly, I know, but there you have it.  But, what I'd most prefer is knowing what fucking size I am all of the time, in every brand.

Recently, I met a friend for lunch and then went shopping with her.  She asked me what size I am as she was looking through clothes.  I answered anywhere from 0 to 4.  That's a fucked up answer for someone who so rarely fluctuates in size that I've only gone up one size since high school.

I know you think you'd rather be an 8 than a 12, but if everyone knows 8 is the new 12, are you really fooling anyone?  I've also noticed that vanity sizing caters more to wealthy women.  The more expensive the brand, the lower the size.  Again, who the fuck do you think you're fooling?  Plus, no one cares except you.  Well, let me clarify.  I certainly don't care if you're a 6, 8, or 12, as long as you feel good about yourself or are making some effort to get there (feeling good not being a 6).  And if someone else does care, ask yourself why it's any of their damn business.  Time to houseclean your friends if they make you feel bad about yourself.  Life is hard enough without purposefully surrounding ourselves with negativity.

Or, maybe I just hate shopping and am super grumpy.

No comments: