Thursday, June 25, 2015

they mostly come at night... mostly

Last week, I encountered a swarm of carpenter ants.

In my bedroom.

As I was about to go to sleep.

Welp, that woke me right the fuck up.  I battled them tirelessly for 2 hours with my Dyson.  Until it broke.  Then, I pulled out the handheld Dyson, which finished the job right as the battery died.  I must have looked like a loon, holding the flashlight tactical-style with the vacuum wand, in my front window.

I needed pharmaceutical assistance to relax after that.

I took apart my vacuum the next day to fix it.  I cleaned the filters.  Disassembled all moving parts.  Nothing.  I'm not loving Dysons anymore.  They used to be good, but this one has broken twice in 6 months.  And yes, I saw the Reddit AMA, after I had already bought it.  I took it to the shop, where they replaced the power button.

Then I took a baggy of a few dead ants to the pest store.  She agreed they were carpenter ants, so now I need to get my house treated.  Ugh.  I can only imagine how bad these chemicals are going to be on Kitten and me.   But the alternative is worse.  Of course they swear the powder is non-toxic.  What's a migraine or three if it means no ants swarming?

They're due here any minute.  And I'm sitting on the edge of my seat, hoping that when they look in the attic, the damage isn't too bad.

No comments: