Sunday, May 27, 2007

Sunday, May 27, 2007

Again, I was awake way too early.  This time I was quieter in the kitchen, although my sis woke up soon after with a migraine.  :(  This was one of the few times I actually got to take care of someone else's migraine.  I did all the same stuff that I want -- an ice pack that I'm too lazy (READ: the pain isn't worth the result) to get for myself, hand-delivered meds, and a glass of water.  She was so grateful even though it really isn't any effort for someone who feels okay.  We had planned to go hiking today but told her it was fine if we didn't.  She didn't want to be the person who holds everyone back, and I know that feeling well.  So, we went but took it extremely easy.  My brother didn't get to drive fast through all the swerving mountain roads.  He survived although his new diesel truck almost didn't.  Apparently we all learned that diesels have a sweet spot of fuel efficiency, and we weren't in it.  But that's later...

We stopped at one of the trail-heads to try hiking.  I figured the fresh air might help my sis.  Haha, here I thought I'm in the best shape of my life, and I could barely make it 100 feet up the trail.  The altitude almost killed me since I live at 3 feet above sea level and this was close to 9000.  My leg muscles never got sore, but omg, I couldn't catch my breath.  Needless to say, I was happy to stop and rest and just enjoy the beauty.  We talked for a bit and munched some beef jerky, and she encouraged us to go hiking and she'd wait for us.  Neither my bro nor I wanted to leave her, so we just ambled a little bit (which was about as fast as I could go anyway without oxygen).  And, she's stubborn so she pushed herself a bit to keep up.  The fresh air (and meds) did help a bit.  We maybe only ended up a quarter mile up the trail before we turned around, but some of that was over 45 degrees steep. 

We continued to the top of Mt. Lemmon to get a bite at the little town.  At that point, my brother realized that his truck burned through way more diesel than it should have and we were in danger of running out.  When I say little town, I mean one store and one cafe (which was closed, the fkrs), and no gas station.  So, we tried to coast down, without going too fast so my sis and I wouldn't get carsick lol.  It was a harrowing ride down watching the Distance to Empty gauge count down until it just read out Lo Fuel.  We barely made it to the gas station and were happy when they had diesel there and we could refuel. 

No comments: