Wednesday, June 29, 2022

I volunteer as tribute

Because I wake up early every morning, I volunteered to walk down to the village and buy them fresh rolls.  I asked for specific directions the night before on how to get there and EXACTLY what to buy (the price, where in the shop it was located, etc.)  They even gave me some of their funny money in case my credit card didn't work.


I excitedly left the flat on a gorgeous crisp morning and headed to the little shop.  This is what met my gaze at 8:30am.

It reminded me of the bare shelves after a hurricane comes through my town.  I got up my courage and asked one of the workers there if they had the specific rolls my friends requested.  It was a comedy of errors because neither one of us could understand the other.  Finally I was pointed to this shelf, right next to the others.  I bought what they had just so I didn't come home empty-handed.

These were NOT the correct rolls, but fortunately I had photographic evidence that I tried.

 

For breakfast I was treated to my very own goose egg!

goose egg next to chicken eggs

I ate my goose egg and my slice of black pudding and was magnificently sated.

After breakfast, my friend and I walked out into the rain and caught the double-decker bus to see Dirleton Castle.  It was mostly closed for renovations, although the real story seems to be lots of places are short-staffed after Brexit.  They use the renovations line as a convenient excuse.  We toured the gardens, walked the grounds, chatted, and caught up on our lives.


We went across the street to have lunch at the Castle Inn.  They had really fun wallpaper inside.

fun wallpaper

We ordered lamb's liver and cullen skink -- and shared them both.  Much to my surprise, cullen skink is a soup that contains no actual skinks.


After lunch, we leisurely walked back along the John Muir Trail.



No comments: