Monday, April 20, 2020

not as bad as I expected


I finally went to get fresh food after not stepping foot inside a grocery store for over a month.  Because I had been traveling, I decided to do the responsible thing and self-quarantine for a couple of weeks.  I still had plenty of food to eat, but I really missed fresh produce.  Greens powder and frozen veggies aren't quite the same.

First I decided to walk along the beach sidewalk this morning to enjoy the nice ocean breezes and view.   The ocean was surprisingly calm, considering that we're under heavy wind warnings.  And it was delightful to watch the pelicans enjoying a deserted beach to fish and frolic.

After I walked a couple miles, I braved the scary grocery store.  I've heard such conflicting stories in different states and areas.  Some people said they couldn't find everything they wanted.  Others said, it was intimidating because of people's expressions and fear.

It kinda seemed normal to me except that all of the employees sounded muffled under their masks.  It made it a little harder to hear what they were saying.  Everyone was friendly though.  And I found everything I went for, including stuff I hadn't planned to buy.  (Hi to you, butterscotch chocolates.)  I made sure not to touch anything that I wasn't purchasing, which is how I ended up with the aforementioned chocolates.  I thought I was picking up dark chocolate truffles.  But I felt guilty to pick up something and put it back, so I bought it.


No comments: