Sunday, January 10, 2016

vitamins




I've been asked several times which vitamin and mineral supplements I take.  My answer varies.  Every morning, I wake up and take a quick inventory of how I'm feeling and which ones I want.  I place these in my handy dandy dish and usually split them up over the course of the day, but that isn't always necessary.  Here, in order of what I remember, is what I generally take:

  • CoQ10 because it helps decrease the severity and frequency of my migraines.  Also, I've noticed over the past several years that when my Imitrex isn't as effective anymore, I need to increase my daily dose.  These are not a take as needed, but rather a take every day until my body is saturated.  Under penalty of great pain.  I used to think this was all bullshit, but it worked for me, despite my skepticism.  And Kitten occasionally helps me double-blind test this when she plays with them and inadvertently knocks one under my keyboard to be found at a later date.
  • Magnesium because it's the best fkn supplement ever.  It's like the duct tape of minerals -- works to fix almost everything that ails me.  I increase or decrease as needed when I notice subtle changes in my body.
  • Krill oil because my omega 3 and omega 6 oils are out of balance due to not eating the most perfect diet ever.  It helps me with inflammation and supposedly with mood.
  • Iodine to help my thyroid and many other organs (including the sex organs) stay healthy.  It also can trigger apoptosis of cancer cells.
  • Selenium so my body can process the iodine.  It's a pretty powerful mineral in its own right though.  In tiny doses.
  • Vitamin B complex also to process the iodine.
  • Vitamin C for a healthy immune system.  This one is necessary to split the doses during the day because the body will most likely discard the excess if taken all at once.
  • Probiotics for a healthy microbiome.
  • Oral probiotics for healthy mouth bacteria.
  • Fermented cod liver oil for the synergistic effects of vitamins D, K, and A.
  • Vitamin K to keep my blood clotting and my bones healthy.  (The Excedrin I take can thin my blood too much.)
  • Lutein for my fkn eyes.  Is it helping?  Probably not.  Am I desperate?  Yes.
  • Astaxanthin because maybe it helps to fight cancer cells. And maybe something blah blah something for my eyes.  See desperation above.
  • L-glutamine for my immune system and gut health.
  • B12 sub-lingual for brain health.
I randomly add and subtract some if I read something new or my bottle runs out and I didn't notice any effects.   Yes, I realize this seems excessive.  However with as many problems as I have, I can't afford to get sick or acquire new problems.  You haven't experienced misery until you've lived through a 5 day flugraine.  Fortunately, I rarely get sick anymore, and that's all I'll say so the Flu Fairy doesn't get offended and wave his wand to infect me.


No comments: