Monday, July 11, 2022

mourning in the morning

I have a pair of mourning doves who started nesting in one of my outdoor hanging orchid pots.  They did it so much, they killed the orchid.  I almost threw it away, but decided to leave it there for them.  It seems to be an ideal protected nesting place.  I chased them out of my still living orchid hanging nearby, but left them the dead one. 

When I came back from Scotland, one was guarding the nest full time.  This morning I found a dead baby bird underneath, which made me sad.  I left it there, assuming some other animal would grab a meal.



I checked to see if it was gone later in the day, and much to my surprise it was moving!


I scooped it up with an old envelope and pulled down the dead orchid pot.  Mama bird few away, and there was another tiny one in it.  I placed the fallen one next to it and hung it back up.


Mama came back after a few minutes and hasn't kicked the little one out yet.  I had a thought after I'd replaced it, that maybe she did it on purpose because it was sickly.  And here I went getting all Pro-Life on her. 



No comments: