Monday, August 5, 2019

the despair is only an illusion


I know that preceding a migraine attack, I am prone to depressive episodes.  And yet, each one feels so real.  I feel so unlovable, so unlikable, and also so pathetic for feeling that way.

One minute, I'm feeling pretty good about life and then WHAM!  Out of nowhere, I absolutely know that I am an abject failure at life.

I try to rein in my emotions.  But logic is scarcely a match for plummeting serotonin levels or whatever is going on in this mutant brain of mine.  I've tried pep-talking myself. 

"Wendy Lady, this is only temporary.  You've survived decades of this shit.  Ride it out."

The problem with that is it's hard to identify that my despair is only an illusion whilst in the throes of said despair.  To that end, I have written down many post-it note affirmations, as recommended by my mermaid friend and seconded by my sister.  I have strategically placed them all throughout my home to remind me of how great everything is when my brain isn't being an asshole. 

affirmations

No comments: