Wednesday, June 19, 2019

shopping?


My sisters and I planned to drive into the city to shop.  Normally I'm not fond of shopping, but I was looking for souvenirs and gifts.  Plus some sister bonding.

They don't get along perfectly, so I tried to do my part as intermediary and organize everyone.  Pop was supposed to drive us because the rental car was in his name.  That was due to last minute arrangements made at the airport after my sister and he missed their flight because blah blah blah family drama.

Anyway, after much texting back and forth, both sisters said they would be ready within five minutes and meeting by my cottage.  Ten minutes later, one sister knocks on my door and is wearing her swimsuit.  What?!

Me:  "I thought we were going shopping?"
Her:  "We are."
Me:  "Why the swimsuit then?"
Her:  "Because Waikiki"
Me:  "Huh?"
Her:  "WAIKIKI"
Me:  "Right, but I thought we were going shopping?"
Her:  "Wendy, it's Waikiki Beach though"
Me:  "So we're still going shopping, right?"
Her:  "Yes"

At that point, I felt like I was in a bad comedy sketch and decided to roll with it.  She told me I could bring my suit, too.  I declined because we're staying on one of the world's best beaches ever.  Why would I want to go elsewhere?

We walk over to my other sister's cabin, and she answers the door in her bathrobe.  What?!

Hadn't I just been texting with both of them that we were going shopping and everyone would be ready 15 minutes ago??

Whatever.  We finally get all situated in the car, and are on our way.  Halfway there, I realize how absurd it is that our 90 year old father is chauffeuring us around.  But he's an excellent driver with more experience than all of us combined, so I guess it's fine.

I couldn't resist piping up from the backseat that she was hitting me.  (She accidentally bumped me on a pothole.)

We drove into Waikiki and passed the high end shops, where we all decided to park and take a look.  One sister was looking for a handmade Hawaiian quilt, which turned out to be gobs of money.  She was going to think about it.

Tiffany & Co, Waikiki


I quickly lost interest in the quilt store and wandered into Tiffany's, Louis Vuitton, and Hermès.  One sister met up with me in Hermès, and we browsed until I was asked not to photograph their dishes.  What?!  What if I had been shopping for real and wanted to ask my partner if he liked them, too?  I'd assume before spending thousands of dollars on housewares, I'd want mutual agreement.  Maybe that's not how the wealthy operate.  They were marvelous dishes.

We went for lunch at the upscale food court and got Vietnamese.  Yum.

Then, my sister and Pop went to Waikiki Beach, while my other sister and I relaxed in the nearby air-conditioned Starbucks, where she explained to me that it was a generational thing.  Apparently Waikiki Beach was a huge thing for them as kids.


No comments: