Monday, February 20, 2017

wabi-sabi


Or learning to love my scars.

For those of you unfamiliar, it's a Japanese term which doesn't have a comparable English one.  It means finding beauty in imperfection.  It's usually used for nature and objects, but I'm appropriating it for my body. 

I need to change my perception about my flaws, especially as I get older and acquire more of them.  A flaw makes something more interesting.  It gives us respect for impermanence and fragility.  A core Buddhist belief is that wisdom comes from making peace with the constant cycles and transitions of Nature.  If we're skilled enough, we can spot the eternal in a fleeting moment.

I'm not that wise yet, but I'm taking a few more steps along that journey. 

I am magnificent because of my imperfections.

No comments: