Wednesday, May 11, 2016

lunch sans listeria

 
I have a four pound bag of organic peas in my freezer just begging me to eat them.  But the FDA is recommending not to.  My sister and Einstein fall into the OMG DON'T DO IT camp.  I'm kind of on the fence.  What are the odds that my bag is infected?  Pretty low.  No one has even gotten sick yet.  Plus, I recently finished a similar bag (which probably met these specs), and I was fine.  Yes, I can get a refund, that isn't the issue.  I'm lazy and craving some fkn peas now.  And they're right there!!

Einstein told me I could die.  My sister hit me with that, too, and when I didn't sound 100% convinced, she threw in the "it could give you a migraine" line.  Funny how a migraine is more persuasive than nebulous death.

My lunch just wasn't the same without that key green ingredient.  I added pumpkin seeds, pecan pieces, and shredded coconut to my nitrate-free bacon.  It was delicious, but pea-less.


Before I could post this, my sister emailed me that the recall list is growing.  Now my lovely frozen broccoli is on the list.  I know I've eaten at least one bag of that recently.  You may wonder why I don't buy fresh instead of frozen.  There are a couple of reasons, the main one being convenience.  When I'm exhausted and/or in pain, I don't want to go to the store and shop.  The second reason is that if the food is flash frozen at the source, it has more nutrition in it than if it had sat around a couple of days.

I suppose I need to drag my ass to the store.  All my spoonie friends out there know that's a lot of spoons.  Two eggs in my coffee today might help generate an extra, right?  See, that's what I'm talking about.  I consume raw eggs every day.  For years.  Listeria just doesn't seem that menacing.  Except for the potential migraine.

No comments: