Friday, October 16, 2020

do people dream in masks?

I recently started incorporating masked people into my dreams.  That's so fucking weird.  I hate masks, not for the discomfort level, although that blows, too.  But rather that it hides people's faces and adds an unconscious level of fear and distrust. 

We all wear metaphorical masks throughout our lives trying to fit in, or at least not stand out, which makes it harder to genuinely connect with people.  I had dinner with a new friend a few times, and she shared some personal stuff about her life, which she said she normally doesn't tell people.  But since I had opened up to her, she felt comfortable doing the same.  

Why are we so scared to reveal who we are?

I still have layers of me that I don't reveal to even my closest friends.  My brother once told me that I'm kind of a mystery in the family because I keep so much of my life private.  Is that because I don't overshare on social media?  I definitely spill my guts here once in a while.

How can I be the confident, self-assured woman who knows my own (high) worth AND be scared about saying something that will disincline my friends to like me?  So fucked up!


No comments: