Monday, February 17, 2020

what's scarier than alligators?


It had been raining for the past few days, and I had been feeling down and cabin-feverish.  I decided to go on a longer hike than I'm used to through the Everglades with a local group.  Because it had been raining, I wore my hiking boots instead of my sneakers in case of muddy trails.  That was a good call initially.  Until the first mile when I started feeling some chafing on the backs of my heels.

I've had these same boots and heavy duty hiking socks for years and assumed they would be fine.  However I don't usually walk that fast or that far.  And I was an absolute dumbass and didn't say anything or try to adjust my laces or even turn back, although I could have done any of that.  The pain wasn't that bad, although in hindsight I realize I may have a weird idea of tolerable pain.

We saw bobcats, beautiful birds, and quite a few alligators, which I would have missed if I had turned back early.  I was in considerable pain after mile 5, but there was no shortcut to the car by then, and it was getting really dark.  So I pushed on. 

Driving home was so painful that I wouldn't stop for food even though I was hungry and craving a burger.  I took off my shoes the second I was inside and holy fuck, my poor heels were just abraded off.  I'll spare you the photos of that, but I will share the wildlife photos.


large 12 foot alligator
little bit closer to get a better photo

heron catching dinner

No comments: