Monday, August 20, 2018

warrior becomes wise woman


Growing older is tricksy for me.  It feels like only last week that I was a vibrant, ass-kicking, young woman.  And somewhere along the way, I stopped being young and not as willing to kick ass.  Now, I feel middle-aged, but who am I kidding, I probably won't live until my nineties.  Although, to be fair, I didn't think I'd live past 20, or 30, or 40.  And 50 is rapidly creeping up on me.

Does everyone go through this?  Is this why philosophy exists?

I'm sure that my disability (UGH I HATE SAYING THAT) helped age me prematurely.  It's hard to feel young and vibrant from a sickbed.

I've been having a better couple of months than the ones preceding these.  Having 45 out of 90 days as migraine days was just not conducive to living.  (I'm looking at you April, May, and June!)  Fortunately, I'm way better and back down to 4 or 5 migraine days a month.  YIPPEE!

This allows me to exercise, socialize, and be productive (all done judiciously, of course, so as not to trigger additional attacks).

I've been going for walks most days in this godawful Florida heat and humidity, and it seems to be agreeing with me.  Most days are so miserable that I'm sure I look like a crazy lady, being outside on purpose in the middle of the day.  I view it as a free and entertaining (because the scenery changes) sauna.   (Apparently saunas are extremely healthy activities.) 

Obviously, I don't push myself past what feels right, but yesterday I was dumb.  I was in migraine postdrome (AKA hangover mode), and I went farther than I should have, didn't bring water, and didn't eat properly first.  I sat down several times in the shade to catch my breath and let my heart return to normal beats.  The postdrome eventually dissipated, and I felt better after a shower and a quick nap.

I also get to meet lots of dogs out getting their exercise.  And other wildlife.

Raccoon foraging for food

No comments: