Wednesday, November 9, 2005

Wednesday, November 9, 2005

We had an old-fashioned barn-raising event last Sunday.  Except, we raised the mango tree instead of a barn.  Two friends from class are plant people, so we had expert advice and help.  Everyone from class showed up and pitched in.  I was very touched.  I called to invite my friend who is battling cancer now.  She used to attend class with me, and everyone always asks about her.   She didn't sound very good and said she couldn't drive anymore.  I immediately told her I would pick her up as soon as she got ready.  So, I missed the actual tree-raising, but it was for a worthwhile cause.  She was so happy to see everyone, and they her.  :) 

Please keep her in your thoughts as her cancer has spread extensively throughout her body and spine.

If you're keeping tabs on Manfred (the mango tree), we had to lop about 15-20 feet off of him to raise him up.  They used two come-along winches and anchored them to other trees, which fortunately didn't rip out of the ground.  It turns out he's a heavy sucker.

No comments: